Pages

Monday, July 22, 2013

Really?!? Fourth Grade!?!

Hi! I am Ms. Polk.  This will be my first year teaching fourth grade.  Since I found out I was teaching fourth I have experienced anxiety, horror, doubt, and excitement.  WOW!! It was this post from Funnies in Fourth  that made me decide to start blogging.   

 

My story aligns so closely with Tessa's.  Although I wouldn't say I was mad, I was definitely devastated and sad when I heard of my move.  I  taught first for 5 years, then second for 4 years.  Why in the world did anyone think I would be good in fourth?  

 

I was definitely in denial.  Denial meaning I avoid the topic at all cost, but for some reason EVERYONE wanted to talk about this AMAZING change.  I was 100% confident it was not what I wanted and this was the WORSE possible time in my life for this to happen.  I mean, I am a perfectionist who had finally gained enough confidence as a primary teacher not to second guess myself a million times a day!  The only thing I knew about fourth grade was that there was very little I knew about the students or the curriculum.  (Probably not completely true, but definitely how I felt.)

 

I have finally come to the place where I am able to accept the move.  I can start looking at the curriculum and planning for next year.  Best of all I can talk about fourth grade without crying.   YAY!!!  I will do my best to make this a great year for my students as we learn and grow together.

 

Hopefully I can help someone, or if nothing else, I know writing about my experiences will be therapeutic.  I am excited to share my journey this year in fourth grade. 



6 comments:

  1. Happy you are here blogging. We are always here to talk and help you with this huge transition! :)
    Theresa
    Pinkadots Elementary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the offer...that is so sweet. Especially exciting for me since your blog is one of the first I started following when I was assigned fourth grade!

      Delete
  2. I love grade 4 - I'm sure you will too! The children are still at the age where they love you and are sad when you are away. We should share...
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just started following your blog. Can't wait to see your ideas and hopefully share some of my own.

      Delete
  3. I am moving from Kindergarten for 8 years to 4th grade this year. I am feeling the same emotions as you. I hope that I can bring my early childhood to my advantage and make this year fun for the students. I am hoping that the students can teach me math- that is the only part that worries me!

    Have a great year!
    Angela
    along1809@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally understand about the math. You seem like you have a good plan. I actually enjoy math, but it comes so easy to me that it is difficult for me to teach. Sometimes letting students explain how they solved a problem is the best way for others in the class to understand.

      Delete