Pages

Monday, August 5, 2013

Monday Made It

The reality that I have less than two weeks of summer has officially hit home.  Since I am determined not to go back to school until I absolutely have to, I have tried to work a little harder at home.  Today I am linking up with Tara from 4th Grade Frolics. 


 Last year was my first year giving students book boxes and I LOVED it.  Having book boxes increases the chances that students always have a book they are interested in reading.  It also reduces the amount of browsing time since students have assigned times to browse and have multiple self-selected options of books to read.  These boxes are from Ikea.  A great bargain, but the bottoms started to fall out about mid year.  This year I decided to tape the boxes to make them more secure.  Originally I tried to cover the entire box in duct tape, then realized I would probably be okay as long as I secured the bottom.  SO I have about 10 completely covered and 20 with the two stripes and the bottoms covered.
I came up with an idea for my box from last week's Monday Made It.  I am going to have my students perform a random act of kindness each day.  I figure each day we will pull one of the cards out of the box and each student has to perform that act of kindness.  I'm hoping this will help create a climate of respect.
 I have seen these class journals all over the place and decided to use them this year.  I am going to write one sample in each journal so students have an idea of my expectations.  The topics are: My Weekend, Hobbies, Vacations, Sports, Birthdays, Wishes, Sickness, and Giggles.  The graphics I used for these came from My Cute Graphics.  This is my go to site, I adore their graphics.
 backgrounds - images - clip art
 The last thing I am sharing is my check for understanding posters.  I know I found this idea somewhere, but it was awhile ago so I don't remember.  I know the colors didn't match my theme of shades of blue so I created my own.  The graphics for the children came from Clips by Jen.  The blue border can be found here.  The chalk star can be found here.   

Thanks for stopping by.  Head over to 4th Grade Frolic to check out what others have made and to link up with Tara.  Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I want to give book boxes too - but I don't have very much room in my new classroom. Hmmm...
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm wondering the same thing. Last year I had a lot of shelf space, but this year I'll have to get creative.

      Delete
  2. Love the book boxes and those class journals are too cool! Great projects...:)

    Blessings, Vicky
    Keep Calm and Imagine

    ReplyDelete
  3. I decorated some of the same boxes from IKEA a couple of weeks ago for my MondayMadeIt! They are so much cuter decorated!

    Rissa
    Keep Calm and Hoot On

    ReplyDelete